Monthly Archives: January 2013
My dad made some tasty Chicken Cordon Bleu and we wanted to share it with you all. This is also the first picture tutorial on the blog!
Flatten each chicken breast. A wood dowel works really well to do this.
Dust each chicken breast with garlic salt, onion powder, pepper, and parsley (fresh is best). Apply one slice of swiss cheese, a slice of ham, and another slice of cheese.
Roll up each chicken breast.
Wrap the chicken breasts in wax or parchment paper. Twist the ends tightly. Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees.
Mix bread crumbs with salt, pepper, garlic powder, and a pinch of cayenne (the cayenne is optional). Whisk together one egg and 2 tablespoons of milk. Coat a baking dish with cooking oil.
Unwrap the chicken and dunk it in the egg mixture. Repeat for each chicken breast.
Roll the chicken in bread crumb mixture. Again repeat for each chicken breast.
Place the chicken breasts in the prepared baking dish. Bake for 20 minutes or until done. (Baking time may vary due to oven temperature differences).
You can spray the top with some vegetable oil to help brown the tops a little more.
Mashed potatoes and cheesy broccoli are tasty sides to this chicken cordon bleu!
Dad’s Chicken Cordon Bleu
4 Chicken Breasts
Onion Powder (to taste)
Garlic Salt (to taste)
Pepper (to taste)
Parsley (to taste)
8 Slices of Swiss Cheese
4 Slices of Ham
2 Tablespoons of Milk
Bread Crumb Mixture:
1 Cup of Bread Crumbs
1 Teaspoon of Salt
1/2 Teaspoon of Pepper
1/4 Teaspoon of Garlic Salt
Pinch of Cayenne (Optional)
1. Flatten each chicken breast. Dust, to taste, with garlic salt, onion powder, pepper, and parsley.
- A wooden dowel works well to flatten the chicken.
- You can use dried parsley, but fresh is best!
2. Layer onto each chicken breast one slice of swiss cheese, 1 slice of ham, and then one more slice of swiss cheese.
3. Roll up each chicken breast. Then wrap each one in wax or parchment paper. Make sure to tightly twist each end.
4. Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees.
5. In a bowl mix together the bread crumbs, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and a pinch of cayenne pepper.
- The cayenne pepper is optional.
6. In another bowl whisk together the egg and 2 tablespoons of milk.
7. Spray a glass baking dish with cooking oil.
8. Unwrap the chicken breasts one at a time. Dip each breast into the egg mixture, and then the bread crumbs. Place the coated chicken breasts into the baking dish.
- You can spray the top of the breasts with some vegetable oil to help the chicken brown up a little more.
9. Bake for 20 minutes or until lightly browned on top.
10. Remove from the oven and Enjoy!
Happy National Peanut Butter Day!
Peanut Butter; one of my favorite things! When I saw that it was peanut butter day, I knew I HAD to make something!
Chocolate Peanut Butter Cupcakes
Chocolate Cupcakes (Recipe From: Cupcakes by Susannah Blake):
8 Tablespoons Unsalted Butter
1/2 Cup Sugar
1 Cup All-Purpose Flour
2 Tablespoons Milk
1 Teaspoon Pure Vanilla Extract
2 Tablespoons Cocoa Powder
8 Tablespoons Unsalted Butter
1 Cup Peanut Butter
2 Cups Powdered Sugar
3 Tablespoons Milk
1. Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. Soften the butter in the microwave for 30 seconds on high. Mix together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
3. Beat in the eggs one at a time.
4. Mix in the flour and the milk until creamy. Beat in the cocoa powder and the vanilla extract.
5. Spoon the batter into cupcake liners. Only fill the liners 2/3 full of batter.
6. Bake for 17 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of a cupcake comes out clean.
7. Remove the cupcakes from the oven. Let the cupcakes cool completely!
Peanut Butter Frosting:
1. In a bowl melt the butter in a microwave for 30 seconds on high.
2. Mix the peanut butter in with the butter.
3. Beat in the powdered sugar.
4. Gradually beat in the milk, one tablespoon at a time.
5. Beat until smooth and creamy.
6. Pipe onto completely cooled cupcakes!
The other night my dad and I made fish tacos for dinner. They were so tasty! I really enjoy cooking with my dad. We make so many tasty dishes whenever we get together!
2 Talapia Fillets
1 Clove of Garlic
1 Tablespoon Lemon Juice
Pinch of Cayenne Pepper
1/4 Cup Cilantro
Cabbage – Chopped
Tomato – Diced
1. Dice the garlic and 1/4 of the onion. In a medium cast iron skillet sauté the onion and garlic in olive oil.
2. Add the fish, lemon juice, and cayenne pepper to the skillet. Cook until the fish starts to golden.
3. Remove from heat and shred the fish in the pan.
4. Add the cilantro and salt to taste.
5. Prepare the tomato and cabbage.
6. Fill a tortilla with shredded fish, cabbage, and tomato to your liking and enjoy!