It’s that time of year when everyone is making dishes with pumpkin. So to start off my pumpkin recipes I made some tasty pumpkin bars. I used Paula Deen’s Recipe. To make them a little more spooky I added candy melt bats on to each bar.
Ingredients for Bars:
1 2/3 cups granulated sugar
1 cup vegetable oil
15-ounce can pumpkin
2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
Ingredients for Icing:
8-ounce package cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
2 cups sifted confectioners’ sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Directions For Bars:
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2.Beat at medium speed, the eggs, sugar, oil and pumpkin until light and fluffy.
3.Stir together the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, salt and baking soda. Add the dry ingredients to the pumpkin mixture and mix at low-speed until the batter is smooth.
4.Spread the batter into a greased 13 by 10-inch baking pan. Bake for 30 minutes.
5.Let cool completely before frosting. Cut into bars.
Directions for Icing:
1.Combine the cream cheese and butter in a medium bowl with a mixer until smooth.
2.Add the sugar and mix at low-speed until combined. Stir in the vanilla and mix again.
3.Spread on cooled pumpkin bars.
Directions fo Chocolate Bats:
1. Put about 10-15 candy melts in a microwave safe bowl.
2. Microwave bowl for 30 seconds. Stir chocolate.
3. If not fully melted, microwave for another 30 seconds.
4. Stir chocolate, left cool for 45 seconds.
5. Transfer chocolate to a disposable decorating bag.
6. Cut a very small piece of the tip of the bag. The hole should be equal in size to Tip #3.
7. Put bat stencil under wax or parchment paper. Trace bat with the melted chocolate. Make as many bats you want.
8. Let the chocolate bats cool for at least 20 minutes. Then add the bats to your pumpkins bars for a festive Halloween treat!
**Note: Here is the stencil I used for my bats.