I love granola and energy bars. They are small so you can take them just about anywhere for a quick pick-me-up. I once worked at a Great Harvest Bread Company store, and we used to make some very tasty bars. My favorite was the Trek Bar. I considered trying to duplicate it, but was unable to find some of the ingredients at my local grocery store. I hope to make it sometime in the future, once I can find all the ingredients. Instead I made up my own bar with all the ingredients that I enjoy!
1/3 c. Walnuts
1/2 c. Mixed Dried Fruit
2 c. Granola or Puffed Cereal
1/2 c. Honey
1 c. Chunky Peanut Butter
1 tsp. Honey
**Note: You can change the walnuts to any other type of nut you like. The same goes for the dried fruit. Just make sure to keep it dried, so that the bars will last longer.
1. Put the nuts, fruit, and cereal into a bowl and mix.
2. Put the 1/2 cup honey and 1 cup peanut butter into a sauce pan.
3. Stir on medium heat until honey and peanut butter combine until the relatively smooth.
4. Mix the cereal mixture and honey mixture together.
5. Add the 1 tsp honey to the mixture and stir.
- Note: This extra honey is to help with the stickiness of the bar. It’ll help keep all the parts together.
6. Scrap the mixture into a small pan. Flatten with a spatula.
7. Put in the freezer for 10-20 minutes.
8. Take out and cut into bars.
9. Wrap bars in Seran-Wrap or Wax Paper. You can also put them in small sandwich bags.
10. Store in freezer until ready for use.
- This will help keep the bars’ shape and from falling apart.
11. Enjoy while on an adventure or just as a tasty snack!