I really enjoy scones for breakfast, especially with some tea or coffee! So this morning, I had a hankering for some blueberry scones and a cup of coffee.
2 cups Flour 1/3 cup butter ( softened )
2 tablespoons sugar 2 eggs
2 teaspoons baking powder 1/2 cup heavy cream
1/2 teaspoon salt 3 teaspoons lemon juice
1 package ( 6oz. ) blueberries
1. Pre-heat the oven to 425 degrees.
2. Put the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and butter in mixing bowl. Using a mixer on speed 2, blend until combined well.
3. Add 1 egg, 2 teaspoons lemon juice, and heavy cream to flour mixture. Beat on speed 2 until a soft dough forms. mot of the blueberry package. Mix with hands.
4. Knead dough about three times on a lightly floured flat surface (like your kitchen counter). Here is where you have some choice.
- You can divide the dough in half. Pat each half into a circle that is 1/2 inch thick. Cut each circle into 8 wedges.
- Pat the dough into a circle. Cut the circle into 8 wedges.
- Use a scone pan
- Pat the dough 1/2 inch thick and made rectangles or squares
- Or pat and cut the dough into whatever shape you desire
5. Place the wedges about 2 inches apart on a light greased baking sheet or pan.
6. Beat with a fork in a small bowl the remaining egg and 1 teaspoon of lemon juice. With a pastry brush, brush the egg mixture on top of each scone.
7. Put the scones in the oven and bake for 10-12 minutes or until the scones are slightly golden on top.
8. Serve immediately and enjoy!
Recipe adapted from: KitchenAid: Great Baking and More (pg. 42)